The Word of God

  Friday, I was preparing a grocery list and my daughter, Liz, was making chocolate chip cookies.  Then she asked me what ambition means. After giving her an explanation, she quoted Phillippians 2:3, "Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself."
   Wow!  Liz learned this verse in AWANA.  She hasn't been involved in that for two years, yet here she was meditating on a verse when she didn't even fully understand its meaning.  With the exception of my oldest son, all my kids have been in AWANA.  Most, if not all, have received the Timothy Award.  That is the highest award you can get.  It means they have learned a whole lot of verses.
   My kids have been in church and Sunday School virtually every Sunday since they have been babies. They've been in homeschool groups, VBS, Five Day Bible Club, and church camp.  They've sung in church choirs and taken part in Christmas programs and dramas.  But nothing, in my opinion, compares to AWANA when it comes to a foundation for Christian life.  For the word of God is living and powerful (Heb. 4:12).

Comments

Popular Posts