Entitlement

  Recently, during a counseling session to which I was a party, the counselor told her client that he has a sense of entitlement. That got me thinking.  So do I, and so does everyone else I know.  I've come to the conclusion that it is "the American way". 
  To what do we think we are entitled?  Loads of things; especially in the material realm.  But how does this affect our daily lives?  Primarily, it breeds discontentment.  The retail  business uses this sense of entitlement every day, and we buy it.  I don't watch tv, so I'm not familiar with the latest jingles, but the McDonald's commerical comes to mind.  "You deserve a break today."
  We all think we deserve not only a break, but we think we deserve it now!  Whatever happened to waiting?  Young people expect to start out with the best of everything.  Never mind that it took their parents years to come to that level of living, or they may never have reached it.
  I've seen the trend with weddings and having babies.  My mother was married in a dress.  I was married in a gown.  Now the newly married go on cruises to boot!  When I got engaged, a 1/4 carat was a nice-sized diamond.  Now, if you get one diamond, it has to be at least a 1/2 carat.  Better yet, why not have three diamonds for your engagement ring?
   I now wonder when I go to baby showers where the mothers could possibly store the plethera of things that they get.  I often joke about wondering how we ever raised babies without all of the "stuff".
   The end result?  Huge debt, for one.  Children are being shuttled off to babysitters so both mom and dad can work in order to pay for all of it.
   But it doesn't end there.  Why all of the divorces?  Because we are entitled to more than we are getting out of marriage, that's why.  Our expectations are unreasonably high.
   Why all of the church shopping?  Because we are entitled to better treatment, nicer buildings, more entertainment for the kids, or a more contemporary service.  Never mind what we can contribute to the church.  The question is, what can the church do for me?
  What is the answer to this dilemma?  I am reminded of 1 Timothy 6:8 - "And having food and clothing, with these we shall be content."  Two things.  Food and raiment.  It doesn't even mention having a roof over our heads or transportation.  Wow!  How far we have strayed.
   So how do we get from where we are to where we need to be?   In Phillipians 4:11, Paul says, "Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content."  How do we learn anything? Practice.  Notice how many times a day you are discontent and then do something about it.

Comments

Popular Posts