Hard Case

   It certainly wasn't Rhonda's winsome conversations that drew me to her.  In fact, it was just the opposite. Although her family had been involved in our organization for years, she clung to the fringe. Oh, she was involved with the work, but not the people, with one exception.
   Troy was a neighbor of hers who had a son her son's age.  The boys did practically everything together; sports, Boy Scouts, church.  And since his mother wasn't in the picture, Rhonda took him under her wing.
When Troy finally married, she embraced his wife as well. Other thanTroy, and her own parents, she kept pretty much to herself.
   I tried to engage her in conversations when I had the opportunity, but it always seemed to be a one way street.  I was always the one to initiate, and though she answered, she showed very little interest.
   One time, I felt she was taken advantage of by another member of our group.  I reimbursed her the money out of my own funds, though I had no involvement whatsoever.  She took the money but nothing changed.
   I was stumped!  Why the wall?  What would it take to penetrate it?
   Rhonda has her own catering business.  She is dedicated, organized, and efficient.  One evening, I told her I wished my sister lived in our area.  Her daughter is getting married and she is having trouble finding a caterer.  That changed everything!
   I didn't set out to win Rhonda over because I needed a friend.  My goal was to be a friend to her.  I don't know that we'll ever "hang out".  That wasn't really my goal.  I just wanted to make her feel a little less alone and a little more a part of the group.
   A man that hath friends must show himself friendly, and there is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother. Proverbs 18:24.
 
    

Comments

Popular Posts