Moth and Rust

   Growing up, I watched my father unsuccesfully start a number of businesses.  But while I was gone, (my mother and father were divorced and then remarried) Jody Lynn Sportswear was born, and it was a success.My dad lived and breathed Jody Lynn Sportswear.  There was nothing more that he loved than a conversation about his buisiness.
    I had the privilege of working for him for awhile, and I was almost as passionate about the business as he.  But in the midst of working for him, I met Jesus, and he became my new passion.
I don't know that my dad has ever met Jesus.  Oh, he's "prayed the prayer", but he says nothing happened, and I'd have to agree.
    It's been a good long time since the factory has been closed.  I've never felt that my dad has really lived beyond its closing.  He's only existed.  May I tell you that a believer in Christ need never share that experience?  Being aquainted with the creator and sustainer of the universe gives one purpose.  Am I saying that there are no setbacks, disappointments, or heartaches?  Absolutely not!  But when we are seeking to do God's will, there is always an assignment.
     The other week, I opened  the door of the vacant building.  It was the first time in years.  What I saw was beyond description!  I do not believe it is salvageable.  I cried, and I am not prone to tears.
Sadly, the building is, in my mind, a representation of a life lived for only this world.  My dad has never, to my knowledge, invested in the Kingdom of God, except for some obligatory money in the offering plate.  And the result?  Ruin.
     I do not share this to in any way put down my father.  Rather, I share this as a warning.  If you are investing all of your time, energy and affections, in the things of this world only, you are poor, indeed!

Matthew 6:19 - 20  Do not lay up for yourselves, treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal.  But store up for yourseves  treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rus tdestroys, and where thieves do not break in and steal; for where your treasure is, there will your heart be also..

Comments

Popular Posts