Broken Cisterns

  We've had problems with the well at our house from virtually the beginning, so it wasn't a complete shock when I came home from grocery shopping on Friday night to find out that, once again, there was no water.  As we shower and do some wash at our son Ben's house and draw water from our neighbor's outdoor spigot, I am quickly feeling like a beggar/refugee.  Realistically, though, it is actually more of an inconvenience than anything, at this point. Tomorrow, the well driller will come, and using galvanized pipe, lower the pump another fifty feet.  Hopefully, they will be done by the end of the day, after which, we will have dirty water for another couple days, (been there, done that), and then things will be back to normal.
  But there is a problem that goes much deeper than physical water.  I'm referring to a lack of spiritual water.  Jeremiah 2:l3 says, "For my people have committed two evils:  They have forsaken Me, the fountain of living waters, and hewn themselves cisterns- broken cisterns that can hold no water."
  This afternoon, I saw evidence of the latter.  My oldest son, Joshua, has spent most of his adult life in and out of prison.  Right now, he is completing ninety days at Gaudenzia in Harrisburg, a drug rehab, before going to a halfway house until May.
   My husband, Tom, and I went down to visit.  We were surrounded by smokers.  Josh was not one of them.  Smoking, alcohol, and drugs are three of the "broken cisterns" people often employ to fill the vacant spots in their lives.  But before we get to shaking our heads in agreement, let me ask what some of your broken cisterns are:  gambling, shopping, eating? 
  You see, I don't believe there is such a thing as "an addictive personality".  The fact is, that in my opinion, we're all addicts.  We just happen to have different addictions.  Some we "get away with" because they're not illegal.  Some, like eating, are even joked about, when it really is no laughing matter.
   Notice, though, the Bible verse first says we have forsaken the Lord.  What follows, are the broken cisterns.
 

Comments

Popular Posts