Of Myths and Realities

  Sometimes, when I've been shopping in the month of December, I witness parents trying to control the behavior of their children through the Santa Claus myth.  They threaten that if they don't behave, Santa Claus won't bring them the gifts they want.  I can't help but wonder what these parents do for the rest of the year.   
  This method wasn't employed by my parents because they believed in spanking, and so such threats were unnecessary.  When we were in the store, we behaved.
  Nevertheless, we've all heard the Christmas songs that suggest the same message.   He's making a list, checking it twice, gonna find out who's naughty and nice.  Santa Claus is coming to town.
  I'm afraid that the Santa Claus mentallity is still alive and well in the lives of most adults.  They know that they are imperfect, and they see God similarly checking the list to "find out whose naughty and nice."
  F. B. Meyer, one of England's most outstanding evangelical preachers in the early l900's says that God "is the watcher of men; not to detect their failure, but to discover opportunities of leading them on to richer, fuller experiences of His grace and life."
  Oh, that we might be able to say, "His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me," with a sense of joy and contentment because our sins have been washed by the blood of Jesus.

Comments

Popular Posts