The Glory of Scripture Songs

   For the second night in a row, I was sleeping on the couch.  An issue in our marriage that never gets addressed and never gets resolved had once again brought me to the brink of despair.  So many years of going round and round, with nothing getting any better.
   The night before, I had fallen asleep to the sound of Psalms.  Tonight, I decided to listen to some "soaking" (whatever that means)music.  Wow!  There is some Christian music out there that is really worthless.  I listened to two or three songs before jumping up to change it.  I looked instead for scripture songs.
   The first was Ephesians 6:11-12.  Put on the full armour of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.
    Now, I'm going to tell you that in all of my years of going to church, reading Christian books, and listening to sermons on cassette, DVDs, and youtube, I've never heard a really good explanation on how to put on the whole armour of God, so that wasn't a whole lot of help.  But, the next verse surely is.  My struggle is not against my husband. And what are the schemes of the devil?  To destroy my marriage.  To promote conflict.  To get me to a place where my fellowship with God is nil and my prayers don't get any farther than the ceiling.
   I asked the Holy Spirit how to put on the full armour of God.  Another verse came to mind, Ephesians 2:6, And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus.  Now, if there are spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms, and there are, do you think we are seated above or below them? Well, 1 Corinthians 15:27 says that Satan is under Christ's feet. And if we are seated with Christ, then guess whose feet Satan is also in under?
   Next up, was "The Battle Belongs to the Lord".  I love this song, and more than anything, it just became a time of worship. I also turned over this battle to the Lord, realizing that too often I try to fight it in my strength and ways.
   Finally, the scripture song played for 2 Corinthians 10:3-4. For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh.  For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds. Was sleeping on the couch carnal or spiritual warfare?  You betcha.  Carnal.
   I now felt encouraged, strengthened, and helped.  I dried my eyes, folded up my blankets, and went to bed.


Comments

Popular Posts