The Glory of Solitude

   I'm a night owl.  I guess I always have been.  Left to my own devices, I will go to bed later and later.  I love the quietness after everyone has gone to bed.  Bedtime has its own special charms - the ticking of the clock, the snoring of the dog. the complete calm.
   It's a time for just thinking and being.  It's a good time for reflection and prayer.  I appreciate that God is always near.  I sense that. Granted, I am more prone to pour out my distresses at night.  As the Bible says, "weeping may endure for a night, but joy comes in the morning." Still, there is nothing quite like it. Just God and me, alone in the dark. "He has made everything beautiful in its time. Also, He has put eternity in their hearts except that no one can find out the work that God does from beginning to end."  (Ecclesiates 3:11)
    Do you ever just ponder a verse like the one above?  Do you ever just allow the wonder of God's greatness to wash over you?  In moments like these, in the wee hours of the morning, I know He is here.  In moments like these, I am aware of His still small voice.
   Earlier today, or rather yesterday, now, I felt somewhat despondent.  I've been sick for the last week, and every day has been a new experience, starting with the restlessness that I usually feel when I'm overcoming a sickness; that time when I feel not quite good enough to do something, but too good not to. Today, I got the mail at 5:00 pm, indicative of my condition. I'm often quick to run out to the mailbox shortly after I know the mail has arrived.  Today, I wanted Becky (my 17 yr. old daughter) to finish making supper, and yet, here I am hours after everyone else is in bed, putting thoughts "on paper" so to speak.
   I am a thinker.  Perhaps I think too much.  Sometimes, I know I do.  But, life without thought, is hardly a life worth living.  Things need to be weighed and  considered.  And how can one plan, devise, and evaluate, without solitude?  How can one discern the will of God without spending time in His presence?
   I glory in solitude.  I think Jesus did, too, although he chose getting up, whereas, I choose staying up.  Just.. quiet.. solitude.  Think of it.  Allow the concept to sink deep into the recesses of your being. It is a lost art.  It is a necessary art.  It is one that begs for cultivation. Practice it.  Perfect it.  "Be still and know that I am God."

Comments

Popular Posts